We're going to the U.S.S. LEXINGTON!!!
Saturday, July 22nd, 2023
About the Program
An overnight adventure awaits your Scout troop or nonprofit youth group when you stay the night aboard USS Lexington, a mighty, record-setting World War II aircraft carrier-turned museum located on Corpus Christi Bay. You’ll hear stories from the ship’s illustrious past—covering topics like kamikaze and torpedo attacks, the manpower it takes to navigate an aircraft carrier, and being named the “Blue Ghost” by Tokyo Rose herself. The chapters of this living history lesson unfold over 11 different levels within the ship, giving curious minds a hands-on experience that reflects on the sacrifices made by a heroic generation, builds camaraderie, inspires love of learning, and is just plain fun!
One Night Program
The Camp LEX one night stay is an ideal program for young scouts, homeschoolers, and adventure seekers of all ages. The overnight itinerary serves as a lesson plan and includes all five tour routes of the ship, stories of historical events from her past, a scavenger hunt, a film in the 3D MEGA Theater, LEX ghost stories, two trips through the chow line, bunking in original crew quarters, an unforgettable patriotic flag ceremony, and so much more!
- Participants must be at least 5 years of age
- Arrival and Check-In: 2:00pm
- It is requested that we caravan together to have all vehicles arrive at the same time.
- Vehicles are not permitted on the pier. Campers are expected to carry sleeping bags and other gear on board. The Camp Lex program is conducted in a fun, spirited but military manner. Falling in, stowing your gear and following orders are all part of this unique and memorable experience.
- What to Bring and Packing Tips
- Pillow, sleeping bag, toiletries, towel and flashlight. Hand sanitizer and insect repellent are also advisable.
- Lockers are available in berthing compartments. Each camper should bring a lock to secure his or her valuables and personal belongings.
- All gear must be carried down one or two steep stairways (ladders), so please pack light/do not overpack. We recommend duffle bags or backpacks, NOT suitcases.
- Close-toed shoes highly recommended.
- Male and female berthing areas are separate. Parents if you are visiting with opposite sex children you will need to pack separate bags.
- There are a few electrical outlets in berthing areas and more are available in the lounge and gameroom.
- Dinner and breakfast are provided for overnight stays.
- Dietary restrictions MUST be specified before arrival for accommodation.
- NO food is allowed in the berthing areas. Please do not bring food items of any kind with you. If your dietary needs require special food you may bring it in an ice chest and we will make arrangements to store it outside of the berthing area.
- Vending machines are available for snacks in the lounge.
- Simultaneous Events Notice
- Due to other events and activities that are held on board the USS Lexington Museum, it is possible that a banquet, dinner dance, or other special event may take place during your group’s visit. There are many ways to get around a ship of this size, so your group may be asked to reroute in order to stay clear of the event area. Please be considerate of other guests.
- Sleeping Areas
- All campers are assigned specific berthing compartments and must respect the privacy of other campers. Restroom facilities (heads) include showers. Most berthing compartments are climate controlled; however, when all such areas have been filled, campers may be assigned areas having ventilation only. Groups will be required to share berthing areas to accommodate males and females separately. In addition, LEX can hold more than one group at a time and groups may participate in activities together. Please contact the Live Aboard Office if this presents a problem.
Saturday, July 22nd
|1200-1500 Arrival & Check-In|
|1600 Film—”Aircraft Carrier: Guardian of the Seas”|
|1800 Patriotic Flag Ceremony|
|1830 Self-Guided Tours/Scavenger Hunt|
|2130 Ghost Stories|
|2300 Taps (Lights Out)|
|(Subject to change)|
Sunday, June 23rd
|0845 Morning Colors, Final Quarters, Patches Awarded|
|(Subject to change)|
Participants must be at least 5 years of age.
While the regular cost of attendance for the One Night Program is $75 per attendee, our Pack is covering $50 of this fee. Thanks to our year-long flag fundraiser, the cost to you is only $25 per person! Registration closes on May 18th, 2023. Fill out the form below and reserve your spots today!