Tonight we'll be starting our ‘Elective Adventure' for the Arrow of Light Rank – Castaway!
Here is the complete set of requirements which we will complete over the next two weeks-
Complete Requirements 1 and 2.
- Complete a. and your choice of b. or c.
- On a campout or outdoor activity with your den or family, cook two different recipes that do not require pots and pans.
- With the help of an adult, demonstrate one way to light a fire without using matches.
- Using tree limbs or branches that have already fallen or been cut, build a shelter that will protect you overnight.
- Do all of the following.
- Learn what items should be in an outdoor survival kit that you can carry in a small bag or box in a day pack. Assemble your own small survival kit, and explain to your den leader why the items you chose are important for survival.
- With your den, demonstrate two ways to treat drinking water to remove impurities.
- Discuss what to do if you become lost in the woods. Tell what the letters “S-T-O-P” stand for. Tell what the universal emergency signal is. Describe three ways to signal for help. Demonstrate one of them. Describe what you can do to help rescuers find you.
- Make a list of four qualities you think a leader should have in an emergency and why they are important to have. Pick two of them, and act them out for your den. Describe how each relates to a point of the Scout Law. Describe how working on this adventure gave you a better understanding of the Scout motto, “Be Prepared”.